Ottawa-Gatineau is #9 in small business growth among Canadian CMA’s (Census Metropolitan Areas):
Some Interesting Statistics
- Small businesses employed roughly five million people in 2008, comprising nearly half of the private-sector labour force.
- Between 1998 and 2008, small businesses created more than one-third of all new private sector jobs. In 2008, they created roughly 70,000 jobs, almost 70% of the Canadian total.
- About 25% of small businesses operate in the goods-producing sector and the remaining 75% are in service industries.
- 64% of businesses in Canada have 6 or less employees:
- Small businesses are highly represented in the following industries:
- Non-institutional health care
- Professional services
- Accommodation & food services
- Truck transportation