The Ontario Commercialization Network Steering Committee Report was delivered to the Minister late February. PWC produced a report on OCN prior to the Steering Committee Report but it was not made public.
The report makes some blunt assessments of serious problems with Ontario’s current approach to economic development and commercialization. Some key findings include:
- Lack of co-ordination and sharing across many fragmented organizations
- Lack of overall governance
- Lack of clear entry-point for clients/entrepreneurs
- Lack of metrics and performance targets
- Need for better co-ordination between Provincial and Federal governments
- Economic conditions demand quick action
Key recommendations include specifics related to:
- Fixing the governance model
- Fixing the delivery model
- Reducing overlaps of products and services within the Province and between the Province and Federal programs
The report was one of the best i’ve seen so far – it cuts directly to the issues and provides some very rational recommendations.