Survey results from the Canadian Federation of Independent Business showed some improving outlooks among small business owners polled:
- 38% considered the condition of their business to be “good”, 18% “bad”, and 44% “satisfactory
- 18% of businesses were planning to add staff
- 16% of businesses were planning to reduce staff
- Top five business cost concerns: tax, regulatory costs; fuel, energy costs, wage costs; bank account and processing fees; and insurance costs.
- Top three business constraints: insufficient domestic demand; shortage of working capital; and shortage of skilled labor
- Business Barometer index rose to 60.4% (well below historical norms, but up since last survey)